1. Why is the family unit so important? – 2 Corinthians 6:18 When we understand the family we will more clearly understand
God. Our relationship with God is likened to a family type of love.
The more we understand this, the more we understand why the devil
works so hard to infiltrate our families.
2. What is God’s primary call to children? – Ephesians 6:1 Obey. Heed or conform to a command or authority because it is right (righteous=right relationship between God and man). See also Col. 3:20.
3. What gem is hidden in the 5th commandment? - Ephesians 6:2-3, Exodus 20:12 Because you honor your parents your days will be long upon the land which the LORD thy God gives you. Honoring our earthly father helps us to honor our Heavenly Father. The land He wants us to have is New Earth (Mt. 5:5).
When I was only twelve I had the great idea to take a shortcut home after dark. We lived near a ski resort and I had the idea to ride my bike down the slope rather that riding around it. In the dark I could not see the ramp that sent me flying through the air. A broken shoulder later and a long walk homemade me wish I had listened to my mother who said "Be home before dark". It turns out she knew what she was talking about. _______________________________________________________
4. Why does Paul counsel with negative advice here? - Ephesians 6:4 While this advice should be taken by both parents it is more directed to fathers. Fathers tend to be more severe. We must be careful not to instill unjust, irritating, or even brutal demands on children. While God does counsel correction (Proverbs 13:24), it is never to be done in anger in a way that will instill wrath in the child. Too often children are considered disturbers of the peace of the home, an annoyance. Another cause of resentment in children is the capricious, inconsistent demands of some parents. Even if outward obedience is gained by violent means, it is at the expense of honor and respect.
5. What is God’s primary call to parents? – Proverbs 22:6 Although children still have the freedom to exercise free will ,they are far better off when parents lead them in a way that will bring honor to God (Jn. 14:6=Jesus, Acts 9:2=the church/Christianity). In all ways and in all things the hearts and minds of children should be ever guided to our Savior.
6. What is the result of Biblical parenting? – Luke 2:40 It is not correct to say that Jesus was like all children. Many children are misguided and mismanaged but Joseph, and especially Mary, kept before them the remembrance of their child’s divine fatherhood. Are you always keeping in mind your child’s ultimate future? _______________________________________________________
7. What is God’s counsel to wives? – Ephesians 5:22-24 Because the household is a picture of the church the wives should be submissive to the husband. The husband is not above the wife or better, and the wife is not above the husband. Neither is above the other, as seen in the creation of woman (Genesis 2:20-24).
8. What kind of attitude should we have? – Proverbs 21:19
Wives, ask God to help to encourage your husbands to be the man that God wants them to be.
9. What is God’s counsel to husbands? – Ephesians 5:25-30
VS 25 – Husbands ought to love their wives in a self-sacrificing way as Christ loves the church. Try to out-love the each other.
VS 26 – Husbands ought to lead the family in regular devotions.
VS 27 – And should lead by example a Christ-like life.
VS 28-30 – Love, care for, and respect your wives as yourself.
10. Where does God counsel families to live? – Ephesians 5:31
God’s design is that a happy family lives out of the influence of meddling parents. A family needs to grow together in their own environment where they can become one (Jn. 17:21-23).
11. But I never had a family to love? – Psalm 27:10
Some of us have not had the best childhood, or marriage, or inter-family relationships. The Lord has promised that He will fill the void that others have left.
Some say that they are not yet ready for heaven because they have not had a chance to have the relationship with a partner that they dream of. Remember this, you were created because God desires a relationship with you. In Matthew 6:33 Jesus reminds us that if we seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness all this will be added unto you. Make this your focus and everything else will fall into place.
The key to a good relationship is communication. Let’s make our relationships a place where we feel comfortable communicating, a place where we want to out-love one another. Let’s make our home a place where angles feel welcome and comfortable, a place where we can come closer to Christ.